The new Confined Space Regulations, Approved Code of Practice and guidance (L101), published by the HSE came into force on 19th December 2014.
This edition brings the document up to date with regulatory and other changes. The guidance has been simplified to make the understanding and use of the document easier, particularly with clarifying the definition of a confined space.
Changes to this edition include:
- expansion of the guidance on the definition of a 'confined space';
- inclusion of a flow chart to help in the decision-making process;
- additional examples of confined spaces to clarify new workplace risks, eg specifically created hypoxic environments, fire suppression systems etc;
- those required to accommodate legislative or guidance changes, eg the smoking ban, changes to the testing procedures for lifting equipment and breathing apparatus;
- amendments to the provisions relating to the need to check, examine and test equipment (monitors, personal protective equipment (PPE), respiratory protective equipment (RPE)) to clarify the requirements of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) and the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER).
For further information on interpretation of the ACOP or advice on any other aspect of confined space safety feel free to email our consultants on email@example.com.